AmigaActive (1696/2143)

From:Richard Lane
Date:26 May 2000 at 01:47:02
Subject:Re: AGA and Iiyama monitor

Hello Simon

On 25-May-00, Simon Preston wrote:

>> Currently I have a nice new Iiyama SJ700JT1 monitor bought a few weeks ago
>> together with a scandoubler/flicker fixer which works and looks terrific.
>> However, I seem to be limited to just the standard PAL and NTSC
>> screenmodes, which while very nice hardly do the monitor justice.
>
> You wanna do the monitor justice? Don't use AGA. Get a gfx card!!! I don't
> care if you can't afford one!! Get one dirt cheap on Amibench or something.

If only life was that easy. I'm afraid there's things like the mortgage,
electric bills etc. that have to be paid. :)

>> If I try
>> to use anything else, because of the scandoubler/flicker fixer it wont
>> display, I just get a nice little "out-of-range" message on the screen. If
>> I buy one of those 23pin to VGA adaptors can I make use of some of the
>> other higher resolution AGA/multisync modes by not using the scandoubler?
>
> Yes. If your are using an external scandoubler/flixer then you should be
> able to get those Multiscan modes anyway. Put VGAOnly AND Multiscan in
> Devs:Monitors. Both can be found in SYS:Storage/Monitors.

I can get the the Multiscan and VGA modes working, but they're tha same
resolution and flicker. The only higher mode I can get is 640x960 which not
only looks daft but flickers like mad. I was hoping using some of the modes
like DoublePal etc. That I'd be able to get something like 800x600 but it
doesn't look like it's possible.

Best Regards, Richard Lane -

amiga@redhotant.com

richard@magnumopus.co.uk

Author: AmiNET - biz/dopus/Magnum_Opus31a.lha
Web site - http://www.magnumopus.co.uk

Get someone else to break the shrink wrap.

Remember the good 'ol days